الأربعاء، 2 سبتمبر 2020

Lack of access to medication threatening the lives of patients under lockdown

A 25-year-old woman who underwent a kidney transplant spoke to Al Mezan about the struggle of accessing immunosuppressive drugs under lockdown:

 

“I’m divorced and I have a daughter, we live with my mother in her house in Al Alami area, near Kamal Odwan Hospital in Jabaliya, in North Gaza district. I’ve been in pain since 2015 and I have been on dialysis since 2018; I go four times a week. My health condition has worsened and my immunity has weakened. I had kidney transplant surgery on 21 July 2019 at Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza. Since then, I’ve been taking (Prograf, Mycophenolate, Tacrocel) medicines daily. Because these medicines are not available in public pharmacies, I have to go to Al Shifa hospital’s pharmacy to buy them. After the security services imposed a lockdown as a measure to limit the outbreak of COVID-19, I have difficulty in accessing the hospital to buy my medicines, especially that my immunity is weak and I would be in a real risk if I got infected with the virus.  I have no one to help me bring my medicines, my mother is disabled and my daughter is young. I walked to the hospital at 6:30 am on Thursday, 27 August 2020, and brought my medicines. I’m afraid that this situation will persist, especially that its challenging to maintain household hygiene as the electricity and water are almost n aon-existent. Personal and household hygiene is imperative for patients with chronic disease such as myself to maintain the highest possible level of immunity.”


ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق